Friday, June 21, 2013

A Different View



"Do you want to ride with the top down?"
     "No, it's too cold."

"Do you want to ride with the top down?" 
   "No, I don't have a hat or anything to put on my head. I have to be somewhere later."

"Do you want to ride with the top down?"
   "No, I'm fine. We're almost home."


For months my husband had been trying to introduce me to the joys of owning a convertible. It wasn't a new model, but it was new to him and he was excited. We'd always enjoyed our late afternoon rides together but every time he asked if I wanted to ride with the top down I'd have an excuse and say no.

But one spring evening that changed . . .
As we left his parent's home we noticed the sky dotted with colorful lanterns suspended in the early evening. With a glance from him and a nod from me we headed off in the direction towards the hot air balloons in the distance. Approaching the balloons my husband once again asked, "Do you want to ride with the top down?" This time my reply was "Yes!"



The endless blue evening sky was beautiful and as my husband drove through the countryside following the balloons I enjoyed the sights, sounds, and smells of being outside with an unlimited view. We've had hot air balloon festivals in our area for years and spent many hours at daybreak and dusk chasing these graceful objects but, I'd never been able to enjoy them to this extent. Not only could we hear the whoooosh of the propane being released into the balloons, but we could ride directly under them and even wave at the pilots swaying in their wicker baskets.



I realized how my limited view could become unlimited when I agreed to step out of my comfort zone.



We followed the balloons throughout the countryside along winding roads, past farm houses, and through wooded areas. There were times when I'd hear the whoooosh before I'd see the balloon as it appeared over the treetops.

Oh, what I'd have missed if I hadn't agreed to get out of my comfort zone and ride with the top down.

Since that peaceful evening in May I've thought about the times I've said NO to the small voice that would ask me to step out of my comfort zone.

How many adventures with God have I missed?

I know there're times when God wants to show me so much more, but I limit my view because I say no and won't follow His lead. 

Maybe He wants to:

  • Give me a totally different view of a problem, circumstance, or situation.  
  • Expand my horizons and let me see He has so much more for me. 
  • Let me experience things that'd be impossible unless I "ride with the top down."


Whatever God has in store for me I want to experience it and see it from a different view
His viewpoint.

I want to step out of my comfort zone that limits  
and live the abundant life God has for me. 



"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" (John 10:10 ESV). 



4 comments:

  1. Awesome!

    Well written, moving, and motivating, Beth.

    Write on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome post Beth! We were in the same place at the same time because I have some of the same pictures! I posted "Aloft" after the weekend with a little different "lesson" than you had, but I love yours! We have to be open for God to give us some new adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love new adventures and your Washington trip probably provided a lot of ideas and material for you. Thanks for stopping by!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete